This French classic was made for us by Frenchman Maurice, who helped us out in early 2019. Served with sauteed potatoes, this vegetable rich medley is simply delicious!
- 350g aubergine (eggplant)
- 350g courgette (zucchini)
- 350g red/yellow bell peppers
- 350g onion
- 500g tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel the skins off the tomatoes (boiling them for 4-5 seconds beforehand should help do the trick!), and cut into chunks. Slice your aubergine and courgette, and slice into strips your onion and peppers.
- In a pot, heat your olive oil and cook your onions and peppers until soft.
- Add your tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper – cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 40 minutes or so.
4. While waiting, fry your aubergine and courgette in another saucepan until soft. Once soft, add into your main saucepan and cook for a further 10 minutes – and you’re done!
*As the vegetables leak quite a lot of juice, you can end up with a watery ratatouille. If that happens, we recommend draining the liquid and simmering it in a saucepan for a while until it becomes thick, then adding it to the dish as a sauce on top!