This American classic is a favourite of Laura’s too, a perfect hangover food alongside beans on toast and spaghetti hoops on toast (both rather hard to find/make in Japan). Although Japanese cheese has a reputation for being not great, this Mac n Cheese went down a treat, including with our American locals who came to visit!
- 200g macaroni pasta
- 40g butter
- 40g flour
- 600ml milk
- 250g cheese (we used Japan’s melty shredded cheese for pizzas, but cheddar is recommended!)
- 50g parmesan cheese
- In a saucepan, cook your macaroni in salted water for 8-10 minutes until al dente. Drain the water and set aside.
- In another saucepan (enough to hold the macaroni plus sauce) melt the butter. Add flour and mix over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes until thick. (We recommend a whisk for this bit)
- Add in the milk a little at a time, and keep whisking for 10 minutes or so until you have a thickish sauce.
- Add in your cheese a little at a time, until its all gone. (If this is too thick for you, add a little milk. If not thick enough, add more cheese, or cook for a little longer).
- Mix the macaroni back into the sauce and once its heated up – enjoy! (We topped ours with a little bit of paprika and parsley, but bacon bits and more can be used to spice it up!)