This recipe was given to us and cooked for us by Matthieu, a French traveller who visited us, then left, then came back on the same trip just to help us out!
We rarely have dessert, but pretty much everyone has heard of French Toast, and its origin is in its name! Who doesn’t love super sugar, bread & butter anyway? This recipe combines 3 of our favourite things – and feel free to add more by way of berries, chocolate, syrups or creams, depending on how fancy you want to go!
This recipe serves 5 (or just 1, depending on how hungry you are!).
- 5 slices white bread
- 250ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 50g unsalted butter
- 85g white caster sugar
- 1/8tsp salt
- Toast & cut each piece of bread into 4 pieces
- Separate your egg yolks from the egg whites, and put the whites to one side (to use later!)
- Beat your yolks with the milk in a bowl.
- Add the salt into the egg whites and mix lightly until milky white and bubbly.
- Combine both egg mixtures together and mix gently.
- Dip your bread pieces into the egg mixture, turning them to coat evenly.
- Heat 1/2 tsp butter in a medium non-stick pan.
- Once melted, add your bread in too.
- Sprinkle 1/4tsp sugar on each quarter, then flip it and repeat.
- Repeat this twice so both sides have been coated twice with sugar.
- Then, add 1/4 teaspoon of butter to each side.
- Fry until golden brown, and serve immediately.