This recipe courtesy of Neha, this Butter chicken Curry is a well-loved curry in the UK, although not seen as often in Japan. With mild spices you can adjust to your liking, an easy curry to make to satisfy anyone! Add in more vegetables as you like.
- 450g chicken thigh (cut into bite-size pieces)
- Ginger (cut finely) *
- Garlic (cut finely) * *if possible, grab a ginger/garlic paste for ease.
- 1 tsp Paprika (powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 250ml plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp ginger/garlic paste (or more finely chopped ginger & garlic)
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 handful cashes
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 250ml heavy cream
- First, you want to prepare your chicken. In a medium bowl, mix the 250ml plain yogurt with the finely diced ginger & garlic (or paste), 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, ginger garlic paste, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and your chicken.
- Cover and leave for 20-30 mins at least (best to leave overnight in the fridge though for deeper flavours)
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Add your chicken in and cook until lightly brown and white all the way through, before placing aside in another bowl.
- Using the same pan (without cleaning), add in your onion, 1tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Gently stir the onions until soft.
- Add the ginger & garlic paste (or diced ginger and garlic), turmeric, garam masala, cumin & paprika. Stir well.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt, sugar, pepper, ketchup and cashews soon after, and bring to a simmer, add a cup of water and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return your chicken to the same pot, with a little more oil and butter (and bay cleaves or cloves if so desired). Add in your sauce, heavy cream and another cup of water and let cook down to your desired consistency.
- Serve with rice or naan!